The Philippine Development Plan 2017-2022 (PDP) has identified an underdeveloped transport system as one of the roadblocks to the country’s development. Rehabilitation and enhancement of the country’s railway system through a qualified O&M contractor, that can improve the railway system’s overall planning, management, operations, asset control and warehousing, has been identified as one of the key targets of the infrastructure sector.
Currently, there are two on-going railway projects: the North-South Commuter Railway Project (NSCR) and the Metro Manila Subway Project. DOTr is the executing agency responsible for the delivery of both projects while the Operation and Maintenance (O&M) will be carried out through a PPP modality. This support is to provide assistance for the PPP contract for the operation and maintenance of the completed NSCR.
When completed, the NSCR will be a 163 km electrified dual-track standard gauge railway with 37 stations initially. The NSCR will have 58 trains and 3 depots located at approximately equal distances from one another in the areas of Clark, Valenzuela, and Calamba. The main Operations Control Centre (OCC) will be located at the Clark depot with a temporary OCC initially running in Valenzuela during construction of the Clark depot. The signaling system of the NSCR is based on European Train Control System (ETCS) Level 2 with Automatic Train Operation (ATO) functionality and an Automatic Train Supervision System (ATS).
- Assist in the preparation and training of DOTr and PNR staff for their future roles as administrators of the NSCR O&M contract, specifically for project management capabilities, including development of contract implementation and monitoring tools and procedures
- Assistance in the procurement of private operator for the NSCR contract via solicited tender
- Work along side consultants of DOTr, such as Ove Arup to over see the EPC packages
- Assistance in preparing a Business Case for the project, which is a document required by the Government’s approving body, and conduct a market sounding as part of the development of the Business Case
- Assistance in the tender process, which involves drafting of tender documents including
- the NSCR Operation and Maintenance contract, conducting the tender process, and negotiating with bidders, until the Operation and Maintenance contract is signed
Project Performance Monitoring
- Providing assistance and advice during the process of handover of project assets from DOTr/PNR to the operator under the NSCR Operation and Maintenance contract
- Identification of DOTr/PNR deliverables under the NSCR Operation and Maintenance contract that are at risk of delay and/or non-fulfillment
- Assessment of operational performance of the operator vis-à-vis the agreed KPIs
- Administrative support to the project management units of DOTr and PNR to put in place proper PPP project performance monitoring mechanisms
By 2022, the private sector partner receives the notice to proceed from the Government under the NSCR Operation and Maintenance contract