(AP3F041-PD010) Capacity-related Assistance and Project Definition: West Sai Gon Wastewater Treatment Plant PPP Project
COUNTRY:
Viet Nam
TA AMOUNT:
$900,000
TYPE OF ASSISTANCE:
Project Definition
PROJECT STATUS:
Active
Beneficiaries
The beneficiaries are:
• Residents of Ho Chi Minh City
• Department of Planning & Investment (DPI)
• Urban Infrastructure Construction Investment Project Management Unit (UICI PMU)
• Other Ministries and Agencies implementing similar PPP projects
• Other stakeholders involved in wastewater management sector
Background

Ho Chi Minh City, with a population of 8.6 million, is Viet Nam’s leading center of economic activity, contributing some 21% of the country’s GDP. Rapid urbanization and population growth have put pressure on the City’s infrastructure. Currently, only 10% of the city's domestic wastewater discharged can be treated by existing wastewater treatment plants. The remaining 90% are discharged untreated directly into the environment (canals, rivers and the sea). Moreover, only 50 to 80% of households are connected to the city’s sewerage system.

Faced with challenges on adequacy (infrastructure), reliability (of sewerage treatment), resource limitation (financial investments) and sustainability (pollution from untreated wastewater), the city needs to build 12 wastewater treatment plants with a total capacity of 3.1 million m3/d to augment existing infrastructure that only covers 9% of the city's requirements.

Key Activities

AP3F assistance will support three components of the project, these are:

  1. Completion of a pre-feasibility study
  2. Review of unsolicited proposal, and
  3. Development of standardized PPP contracts/tender documents
Expected Outcomes

By 2022, project achieves commercial and financial close